The Pergamon Museum was built on Museum Island between 1910 to 1930 to plans by Alfred Messels executed by Ludwig Hoffmann to hold the overflow from the newly opened Bode Museum.
In the Second World War, the museum suffered heavy damage. Many of the portable exhibits had been secured away and the monumental pieces had been partially bricked up. The museum reopened in 1958 and was renamed after one of its star attractions, the Pergamon Altar.
The museum contains much more, however, it its three Neo-Classical wings. It houses the state collection of Antiquities, the Asia Minor Museum, and the Museum of Islamic Art. It has gained a worldwide reputation for its imposing reconstructions of archaeological building ensembles. These include the Pergamon altar, the Ishtar Gate and the Processional Way from Babylon, the Market Gate of Miletus, and the Mshatta façade.
The museum has been undergoing a step-by-step renovation since 2013; the room holding its namesake remains closed until 2023.