Museum Berggruen is in Berlin's Charlottenburg district and is home to one of the world's most important collections of Classic Modernist art. It houses works by internationally renowned artists, such as Picasso, Paul Klee, and Henri Matisse collected by Heinz Berggruen and given to the city as a "gesture of reconciliation" in 1996.
Friedrich Wilhelm IV built the present building between 1851 and 1859 in a Neo-Classical style that complements Charlottenburg Palace, located across the street. The building was designed by architect Friedrich August Stüler.
After Berggruen's death in 2007, the family agreed to give the museum other works he had purchased since the museum had been founded. The museum underwent further remodelling through 2013 to house this expanded collection and now houses a sculpture garden as well.