Hamburger Bahnhof possesses a rich collection of contemporary art
in a building that was originally a railway station from which trains to Hamburg departed.
Architect Friedrich Neuhaus planned and built the original Neo-Classical terminal building, which served as a model for Berlin's other railway stations in the 19th century. Today, however, the Hamburger Bahnhof is the only historical station building left standing. It stopped serving trains in 1884 and was turned into a transport museum in 1904. After World War II, it was abandoned on the very edge of West Berlin. It opened as a contemporary art museum in 1996 and was remodelled in 2004 to expand its exhibition area from 7,000 to 13,000 m². Today the museum is one of the largest and most important public collections of contemporary art.